What is the Gospel?
Good news! You can be saved from your sin and its ultimate penalty in hell for eternity! The word “gospel” means “good news,” and that’s exactly what it is.
If you understand, believe, and apply it, the gospel is the best news that you will ever hear! It is this good news that gives you the ability to find, to know, and to love God, not to mention escaping your bondage to sin, and the ultimate penalty of that sin: eternal death and separation from God.
The following are some essential points of this good news that God graciously gives us in the Bible:
- God created and owns everything, including you. – Genesis 1:1, Psalm 24:1
- God is perfectly holy. – Matthew 5:48
- God requires your perfect obedience to His law. – James 2:10
- You have broken God’s law (sinned). – Romans 3:10; 23
- You will pay the eternal penalty for your sin. – Romans 6:23
- You cannot save yourself by your good works. – Titus 3:5
- Christ came to earth as both God and sinless man. – Colossians 2:9
- Christ demonstrated His love by dying on the cross to pay sin’s penalty for those who follow Him. – Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Christ rose from the grave and is alive today. – 1 Corinthians 15:4
You must believe in (put your trust in and give your allegiance to) Christ as Lord and Savior, and be willing to follow after Him. – Romans 10:9